I am an independent consultant on all aspects of historic interior decoration. I have been closely affiliated to the National Trust for over 30 years, and in 1998 I was appointed the NT’s sole Adviser on Interior Decoration covering a wide range of properties in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Most of my commissions involve the restoration or reinstatement of historic schemes in stately homes, houses open to the public, private homes, college and religious buildings, museums and art galleries.
I have an academic and practical background which enables me to give detailed, comprehensive advice tailored to suit every situation. Some projects need to be entirely based on archival research and site investigations, but I also enjoy working with fewer constraints, and devising schemes which respectfully marry contemporary usages and collections to historic settings. Every job requires the same attention to detail and sensitivity to the individual spirit of a place, and all are founded on research and a thorough understanding of the architectural context.
I work very closely with my clients and I am happy to manage a project through to completion, or to work collaboratively within a team. I will bring in highly experienced specialists, such as upholsterers, gilders, conservators and painters to assist when necessary.
I can help with the following:
- research and advice on a decorative scheme, and its context
- interpretation of archives, and historic room usage
- material analyses
- specification of new decorations and commissioning new furnishings
- research and advice on the external appearance of a building
- care and conservation of collections and furnishings
- assembling a team of conservators, suppliers, tradespeople and other specialists
- collating proposals for Listed Building Consent
- Armoury House, HAC, London
- Attingham Hall, Shropshire (NT)
- Belton, Lincolnshire (NT)
- Kedleston Hall, Derbyshire (NT)
- Knole, Kent (NT)
- Morden Hall Park (NT)
- Mount Stewart, Co Down (NT)
- Seaton Delaval, Northumberland (NT)
- Trinity College Chapel, Oxford
Please get in touch using the contact form below, or phone me on 01453 497125 or 07771 605278.